English (En)| Cymraeg (Cy)
Adecco

Census Officer

Carlisle, Ceredigion, Hackney and Tower Hamlets

£14.44 p/h in London and £11.00 p/h in Carlisle and Ceredigion

Apply

Job Description

Between 10 and 37 hours per week, Monday to Saturday between 9am and 8pm and Sundays and bank holidays between 10am and 4pm. 60% of hours to be worked during evenings (between 4pm and 8pm) and weekends.

As a census officer, you’ll be our main point of contact with the public. You’ll have an important role in visiting households and speaking to residents, encouraging and helping them to complete their questionnaires online.

You may need to visit households several times to follow up if they have not completed their questionnaires. Achieving a high number of responses may be challenging and the visits are essential to help us succeed in this.

You’ll work as part of a team of officers and will regularly report to your co-ordinator. You’ll work on your own most of the time and will be on your feet and out in the local community for the majority of your working day. You’ll work 60% of your hours in the evenings and at weekends. The other 40% of your hours will be a mix of morning and afternoon time slots.

We’ll provide you with the technical kit you’ll need to do your job.

 Main responsibilities

 These will include:

  • Ensuring confidentiality and security of information at all times
  • Becoming familiar with the areas where you’ll be carrying out visits
  • Making contact with residents at their home addresses to encourage them to take part in the census. You’ll need to reassure people concerned about completing the questionnaire online and try to persuade those who do not want to
  • Recording outcomes of your work on a mobile phone
  • Meeting with your manager to report on progress and keep them informed
  • Completing all work within the required timescales and to the required standard
  • Submitting your pay and expenses claims promptly and providing receipts
  • Complying with all Office for National Statistics' people, security and health & safety policies
  • Participating in evaluation activities such as debriefs and evaluation surveys

Essential skills and experience

 You’ll need to:

  • Have proficient written and verbal communication skills in English, and have the confidence to deal with the public and local community
  • Be well-organised and able to plan and work within specified timescales
  • Be confident working independently or as part of a team and using initiative
  • Be able to understand and accurately follow detailed written instructions
  • Be competent in using a mobile phone
  • Be able to persuade and influence people
  • Act professionally in challenging situations
  • Be able to compromise and negotiate effectively to get the required outcomes
  • Have excellent customer service skills, including speaking to members of the public
  • Have self-motivation and resilience

Main requirements

 You’ll need to:

  • Undertake training as required to achieve the necessary competencies and skills for the role
  • Be able to travel throughout your area in order to complete your duties (you’ll spend much of your time travelling between addresses)
  • Be able to travel long distances
  • Be available to work your contracted hours including 60% in evenings and at weekends
  • Be competent in using a smartphone (this will be provided)
  • Be able to receive, check and securely store supplies
  • Be available from
    • 30 September 2019 until 14 November 2019, or
    • 14 October 2019 until 14 November 2019, or
    • 21 October 2019 until 14 November 2019

For roles located in Ceredigion, you’ll need to hold a current full UK driving licence and have the use of a motor vehicle (insured for business use) for which you’ll be paid a mileage allowance. For roles in all other locations, this would be advantageous but is not a requirement.